Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:37:15 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk> wrote:

>"c" is a bad partition to use, it's the 'compatability' partition... You
>should try to avoid it with 3.0 etc.

    Yeah, I saw Greg's note on this when I had previously searched the
archive, but wasn't sure if this was fixed in his latest (4 Mar 1999) update.

>What happens if you run /sysinstall/stand, and try to label/partition them
>that way? (i.e. allocate the whole disk (dangerously dedicated) to FreeBSD,
>then slap say a 1Gb partition on it - make sure the system can newfs it
etc. -
>then try running disklabel on the drive?)

    I just did this, and managed to actually get it to put a filesystem
on /dev/da1s1e, which I presume I can then go in and blow away with
`disklabel -er`.  That took a little while to do just one disk, so this
is going to be a somewhat long and laborious task.  However, I suspect
that you've given me just the information I needed, and I'll let you know
if I have any further problems.

>I'm not currently running Vinum at the moment, but I have had it running
>briefly with softupdates... I've also run CCD with softupdates, AFAIK it
>shouldn't be a problem...

    Cool!

>ps. please don't crosspost your questions :-)

    Whoops!  Sorry, must have somehow missed that rule when I was going
through the archives and subscribing to the lists, etc....  Sorry about that!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
                The Sky is no longer the limit