Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 1996 11:54:34 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Victor Anisimov <vam@kon.icp.ac.ru>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with swaping

>Very recently I've collected a very strange problem with
>swapping on my i486DX2/66 with 8Mb RAM, VLB IDE controller
>and two Samsung HDDs and FreeBSD 2.1.0.  I have a lot of
>free swap space on my PC:
>
>Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
>/dev/wd0s1b    100000     3712    96224     4%    Interleaved
>/dev/wd1b      830088     3728   826296     0%    Interleaved
>Total          929960     7440   922520     1%
>
>but any one program can't allocate maximum 45Mb of virtual space
>as ps axu reports. On request of more than mentioned memory
>I get an error message "Can't allocate memory". All of the
>programs written on Fortran and C. One use static Fortran memory
>allocation, the other use C's dynamic allocation. Both of
>them show mentioned high limit on memory allocation.
>The same problem I have with Pentium-133 24Mb RAM, NEC SCSI
>adaptor, 1Gb Seagate HDD, i.e. there is a lot of free swap space
>and error on memory allocation with the same high limit.
>
>Can someone, FreeBSD vizard, give me some hints what should I do.
                      ^^^^^^
   A small leathery-skinned creature that is descended from a lizard? :-)

   You need to incease your per-process virtual limit. This can usually be
done via the "limit" or "ulimit" commands in the shell you're using. To set
the global defaults/limits, see /sys/i386/include/vmparam.h (MAXDSIZ).

-DG

David Greenman