Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:44:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help installing FreeBSD 4.0 on AlphaStation 200

Dirk Kleinhesselink writes:
 > I'm confused, because FreeBSD won't boot from the ARC/AlphaBIOS and so the
 > only machines one can use for it are "real DEC/Compaq" machines -- I

Specifically, what hardware are you talking about?

It might not be as bad as you think.  You can run SRM on the PC164
series of machines, as well as on the a series of Miatas (eg,
DPW433a).  The only machines which are really locked into
AlphaBios/arc are the NT-only DEC branded machines like the Alpha XL
(233, 266, 300, 366, 433).

 > would've figured that the DEC/Compaq machines that ran UNIX (or
 > OpenVMS) would run FreeBSD, but I guess this isn't the case.  Are there
 > any video cards supported by Digital UNIX/Tru64/OpenVMS that will
 > work with FreeBSD ?

Off the top of my head, I would imagine that the Elsa Gloria Synergy
should work just fine, as it is a 3D-labs Permedia2 based card.  The
S3-trio64 and the Mach64 cards which shipped in AlphaStations should
also work.  I had a Mach64 going in an AlphaStation200 about a year
ago.

Drew