Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:55:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports me or the port?

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, David Leimbach wrote:

> Well now I can't tell if its the port that is broken or my copy.
> Earlier I CVSup'd ports without the tag=. default tag in my CVSup
> file. I saw that this was "deleting" files in the GUI for CVSup.
>
> I then redid everything with the following parameters:
>
> 	*default release=cvs
> 	*default tag=.
> 	*default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org
> 	*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> 	*default prefix=/usr
> 	*default delete
> 	*default use-rel-suffix
> 	*default compress
> 	ports-all
>
> Now I am trying to install sced which uses povray-3.0.1 and I get the
> following error
>
> 	===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for povray-3.0.1
> 	Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
> 	1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to source/optout.h.rej
> 	>> Patch patch-a,v failed to apply cleanly.
> 	>> Patch(es) patch-a applied cleanly.
> 	*** Error code 1
>
> and a bunch more of those error codes under that.
> So is this a broken port or are my ports completely screwed up?
> Any help would be appreciated.

Me thinks you're making this more difficult than it needs to
be. Avoid fiddling with the contents of your supfile. The only
things you've changed from the vanilla settings are the base
and host values. Both of those can be set from the command-line:

cvsup -g -b /usr/local/etc/cvsup -L 2 -h cvsup2.freebsd.org \
    /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

I've also tacked on a recent post by Mike Meyer which has some
relevance here:

> If you use "make update" in the /usr/ports/Makefile, then you don't
> need to modify the supfile. Set the hostname and PORTSSUPFILE in
> /etc/make.conf like so:
>
>        SUPHOST=        cvsupFIXME.FreeBSD.org
>        PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
>
> and you're done. That "make update" will update the ports tree for
> you.

.cr