Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 21:47:55 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *BSD* - What's the difference, scope on compatibility, level of mutual code exchange, etc....

: Actually, I would say that NetBSD has security that is as good as that
: of OpenBSD, as does (largely) FreeBSD.

Hmmm.  Although I'd love to say that FreeBSD's security is as good or
better than OpenBSD's, that likely isn't the case.  The same is true
of NetBSD.  All three have security that is actually quite good
compared to many commercial OSes.  However, OpenBSD's overall security
is better than both FreeBSD's and NetBSD's.  There are many many
places where bugs that are fixed in OpenBSD have yet to be integrated
into FreeBSD or NetBSD.  The vast majority of them have no known
exploits associated with them, but some likely do or could have them.

OpenBSD also has more "high security" features than either FreeBSD or
NetBSD.  These include a stronger cryptographic password hashing
algorythm and integrated IPSEC stuff, etc.  There are political
reasons why NetBSD and FreeBSD don't have these features, as they are
readily available as add ons for both systems, but not technical.
OpenBSD is based in Canada, and according to many people's reading of
Canadian law, it can export crypto stuff of Canadian origin whereas
FreeBSD and NetBSD, being largely based in the US, have to be more
careful about what they include due to the US's lovely export policy.

OpenBSD has been extremely proactive in fixing bogus code and
containing it when they can't fix it.  For example, named runs
chroot'd by default in OpenBSD, but doesn't in either NetBSD or
FreeBSD.

I know that many people are working on a source tree audit in FreeBSD
similar to the wonderful work that Theo has done in OpenBSD.  The
project has fallen on hard times, but every so often things are
committed from it.  The bigs nasty holes have been fixed, but there
may still be some smaller ones, or cases that should be cleaned up,
even though they might not be exploitable.  I know that NetBSD has
fixed many problems, but honestly don't know the level of their
auditing activity.  OpenBSD's ongoing efforts in this area lead the
pack.

For every day use, I'd say it is about a wash which one has the "best"
security for that.  If you need the more advanced features, I'd steer
towards OpenBSD with NetBSD or FreeBSD being in the running if there
are considerations other than security (device driver support,
possible performace gains with the others, etc).

I'm doing my part to help narrow the gap between FreeBSD and OpenBSD,
but my "todo" list is something like 150 commit messages long and
growing.  Hopefully things will change for me soon such that I'll get
more of a chance to fix these things.

Anyway, that's my personal perspecitive.  Others may disagree with
it.  The "management" of *BSD may or may not view things the same way
that I do.

Warner