Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:44:44 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <"jwb"@akiva.homer.att.com@ulysses.homer.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: packages and os version problem

"J. W. Ballantine" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been tracking 2.2-stable through several releases via CTM.  Recently I tried to add a package
> from the 2.2.8-RELEASE cd after I had updated to 2.2.8-stable and I got a message about the package
> being for 2.2.8-RELEASE, but the system was version 2.2.X (where X was the original release I loaded).
>
> When I attempted to run a package I have added, I received the following error:
>
> tinlizzie $ /usr/local/Acrobat3/bin/acroread sport336.pbf
> The OS named FreeBSD version 2.2.8-STABLE is currently not installed.
> Try running on a installed platform and connecting to your display.
> Installed platform(s) include the following:
>   Intel/Linux

Yes, I had this problem too. There is either another binary in the
/usr/local/Acrobat3 tree, or you need to start it with an option.
Can't remember which, I'm at work now, but I'll check when I get home
(about an hour) and e-mail you with a definitive answer.

HTH

> uname -a on the system is:
>
> FreeBSD tinlizzie.jwb.com 2.2.8-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE #0: Sat Jan  9 18:31:50 EST 1999     root@tinlizzie.jwb.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL  i386
>
> Any ideas on what is going on???
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.