Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:26:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers list FreeBSD <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: LDAP object schema for NIS/UNIX/KERB ]

> http://www.xedoc.com.au/~lukeh/ldap/schema.html

Julian,

What's your interest in this area?  I make heavy production use of FreeBSD
NIS but am planning a move to LDAP.  This is my next big project... I
expect to spend a few months on it.  One of the main goals is to provide
generic directory services that Web applications can leverage, but I was
planning on some sort of gateway to NIS to keep the user passwords in
sync.  From the URL above it seems that this NIS intergration is being
seriously considered.  I hope I can make use of their work.

I read Bill Paul's reply about not having any time.  If I make any
progress that seems integratable into FreeBSD I will of course submit it
to someone for consideration.  Do you have any plans to work in this area?
It would be nice to have some folks to bounce my stuff off of.

Do you know what has been done by FreeBSD folks with LDAP in general?
(other than the port of the umich package).  Are there any official plans
to make use of it in any real way?

thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's
  Eastern Nazarene College           best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                     too dark to read." - Groucho Marx