Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:24:51 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: several newbie ques: ppp, cdcontrol, man, suon?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 02:09:47PM -0400, leegold wrote:
> 1 is there anyway to get a table of contents, an index , or a list of all
> the commands
> described in the man pages?

``apropos all'' although you may prefer ``apropos N'' where N is the
section number of the manual.

> 2. i am trying to find the cammand to give a user selective access to root
> only commands. I thought it was  suon  but there's no man pg for that
> command.

ITYM sudo, it's in the ports.

> 3. i can only use ppp as root. i tried in rc.config:
>
> ppp_enable="YES"
> ppp_mode="auto"
> ppp_profile="papchap"
>
> to be able to use ppp as a user. But this is NOT doing what I want - it
> dials up ( i don't know where ) at long-in, I REALLY DON"T KNOW WHAT IT"S
> DOING. All I want is to be able to callup my ISP as as a user ( not only as
> root which is the only way I can do it right now ). I don't want it dialing
> automaticly w/out my command.
>
> I just want to be able to log on to my isp as a user. THAT"S ALL.

add

 allow user <your_username> to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and make sure that
 <your_username> is in the network group.

> 4. cdcontrol expects I have SCSI cd drive it expects /dev/cd0c or cd0. I use
> acd0. SO I have to enter a whole long command line specifying my device for
> every command. The man page for cdcontrol says it will default to an env var
> CD_MUSIC. ok, how do I set that var to /dev/acd0? Right now there's not such
> var.

``man cdcontrol'' shows:

      -f device
             Specify a device, such as /dev/cd0c or mcd0. Both
	     absolute path and relative to /dev filename are possible.
	     Suffix `c' is added to the device name if needed.

> Thanks

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?