Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:31:57 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, doug@safeport.com
Subject:   Re: question about xorg 7.4

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 07:15:58 doug wrote:
> I have a IBM thinkpad T42p. xorg 7.4 is pretty much a disaster for me.
> First I wonder if anyone has gotten 7.4 to work on this or similar
> hardware. The system is 3+ years old when it was still IBM.
>
> I have done this a time or two starting with the first version of KDE and
> FreeBSD 4.<something>. I believe I have tried all of the options in the
> handbook plus a couple of various from this list and google. So I was not
> going to add xdm and Xorg output, at first anyway.
>
> The one thing I have not done is upgrade the BIOS and am not sure that
> matters. I was/am afraid of breaking an otherwise great system. It runs
> xorg 7.3 and KDE 3 or 4 fine. I go to this point because I broke things
> trying to install firefox3 and got all tangled up in upgrading ports and
> thought I would give xorg 7.4 a try.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 7.2. Xorg was installed using pkg_add on a system
> without any ports. Upon hitting the xdm trap, I also installed that
> package.
>
> All variations give me a black screen with the keyboard locked. startx, xdm
> and xorg all do the same. I assume this is a hardware issue and hope
> someone found a way around it.
>
> Thank you for any thoughts, tips, ideas, etc.

Xorg defaults to a black screen instead of a checkerboard pattern these days.
Keyboard and mouse input is handled by hald(8), so don't forget to enable and
start it before starting Xorg. hald depends on dbus so that also needs to be
enabled and started. Add the following to rc.conf:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Good luck,
Pieter de Goeje