Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:55:51 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        WHS <whs@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncr scsi timeout

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 00:49:47 +0000, WHS wrote:
> Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >

> > > The kernel hangs (rather an endless loop) with messages like:
> > >
> > >         ncr0: timeout nccb=0xc0c38000
> > >
> > > if I attach a fujitsu M2513A2 640MB MO drive. From a quick glance in the
> > > ncr source it seems there's a problem with the script stuff in case of a
> > > timeout. Anyway, this doesn't happen with either the obsd or linux ncr
> > > driver (both derived from the fbsd one I believe), so that may provide
> > > some info for whoever maintains this driver.
> > >
> > > Please mail me with suggestions or pacthes to try out as I need the MO
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Wouter
> >
> >  You didn't say which version of FreeBSD you're using....
>
> Oops.. It's 3.3 (RELEASE I guess, the oct cdrom).

Depending on what sort of NCR board you have, I would suggest trying out
the new sym driver, written by Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>.

It is located here:

ftp://ftp.tux.org/tux/roudier/drivers/freebsd/experimental/

Look at the readme file in that directory to determine whether your board
is supported.  If you have questions, problems, etc., with the sym driver,
contact Gerard.

In general, the stock NCR driver isn't being actively maintained, and your
problem could be the result of a bug in the driver, or some problem with
your MO drive.  It's hard to say for sure.  Gerard's driver is actively
maintained, though, so if you still have problems with his driver, it'll be
easier to get the problems fixed.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry