Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 06:04:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet but no ftp

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > I tried it on my desktop machine and got the same result a few weeks ago
> > but didn't bother digging into it yet.  Looking now at master.passwd, the
> > ones that aren't working have a password field of only 13 characters long
> > whereas the ones that do work have a length of 34 characters.  Could there
> > be a connection there?  Also what would cause the shorter encrypted
> > passwords?
>
> Shortened password entries usually come from installing the DES
> distribution.  Your ftp server should pick it up though.  Which one are
> you using?

I don't recall installing DES, but I may very well have when I upgraded
it from 2.1.0 to 2.2.6.  It appears that any user added since the upgrade
not only has the shorter encrypted password but also cannot ftp in (the
machine only has a couple of users).  The ftpd I'm using is wu-ftpd 2.4.2
which was also installed before the upgrade.  I may try proftpd since I
found mention of a problem with wu-ftpd and logins in the email archives,
unfortunately there wasn't much info there about the problem.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow