Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:56:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Co=EFdanSm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

On Thursday, 10 September 1998 at 22:41:42 +0200, Dag-Erling CoïdanSmørgrav  wrote:
> Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
>> Yeah, me too.  Those who think ed is bad should try, for instance,
>> that horrid editor that came with CP/M, or "sos" on TOPS-10.  Or,
>
> Son Of Stopgap, an editor that was written to replace an editor that
> was written to replace an editor while waiting for the next (better)
> editor. Or something like that.

Ah yes, now I remember the TLA.  From the Jargon File:

:SOS: /S-O-S/ /n. obs./  1. An infamously {losing} text
   editor.  Once, back in the 1960s, when a text editor was needed for
   the PDP-6, a hacker crufted together a {quick-and-dirty}
   `stopgap editor' to be used until a better one was written.
   Unfortunately, the old one was never really discarded when new ones
   (in particular, {TECO}) came along.  SOS is a descendant (`Son
   of Stopgap') of that editor, and many PDP-10 users gained the
   dubious pleasure of its acquaintance.  Since then other programs
   similar in style to SOS have been written, notably the early font
   editor BILOS /bye'lohs/, the Brother-In-Law Of Stopgap (the
   alternate expansion `Bastard Issue, Loins of Stopgap' has been
   proposed).  2. /sos/ /vt./ To decrease; inverse of {AOS}, from
   the PDP-10 instruction set.

>> as an example of something other FreeBSD'ers MAY have seen, edlin.
>> Remember that barfluous little botch?
>
> Actually, most of my acquaintances agree that edlin and debug are
> Microsoft's two best products ever.

Maybe because they weren't from Microsoft?  I still have the source to
both of them from my 86/DOS release from Seattle Computer Products in
late 1980.  They don't seem to have changed since.

> You wouldn't imagine how much fun one can have with debug... My
> favorite DOS horror story is about the time I rebuilt my primary FAT
> using debug as a hex editor :)

Right, you could write to disk with it.  A nice idea at the time.

Greg