Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:40:56 -0800
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIC problem - no status:active in ifconfig -a

I have a firewall machine with two nics that seems to be having a
problem - when accessing my web site on a public isp it redirects to my
home web server where natd then redirects the incoming http request to my web
server. This had been working just fine for most of a year, now it no longer
works. I can connect to the web server from inside my home network and the web
server does return the web pages, so apache does work just fine. I can ping
both nics in the firewall and get a response from both, from the machine
itself and from any machine in the network. So it appears both nics are working
properly. I run ifconfig -a and both nics show their proper ip addresses
etc, but - one nic shows status: active and the other does not show status
anything. The nic with the inside address of 192.168.1.10 (xl0) shows status:
active, the outside nic with address 208.194.173.26 (ep1) does not show
status: active.
Is this a problem? Could it have something to do with natd not
redirecting the incoming http requests? All machines on my network are able
to access the net just fine. I don't know what to check next.

--
Chip Wiegand
Alternative Operating Systems