Date:      Mon, 01 May 1995 14:10:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Hackers - send me your setups!

One of the things I'll be putting on the 2.0.5 CD is a couple of
"canned users", given that the first thing a new user generally does
on a system is clone some local wizard's setup.  Well, since our poor
users are typically all alone on their new machines, they don't have
anyone to copy and are left somewhat in the dark.  I'd like to change
that by setting up 3-4 fake users with descriptive names (and starred
passwords - not to worry! :-) that cover the range of available shells
and X/non-X setups.

For example, for `csh-user' we'd have a .cshrc & .login, and for
`sh-user' we'd have a .login and .profile or something (I can't
remember - it's been too long since I was a sh user :-).  For the X
user, and I think I'd want about 2 of those, we'd have things like
.xinitrc, .fvwmrc, etc. files.

That's one approach.  The other is to tie this in with the adduser
phase somehow and copy one of several different "skeleton" files into
place.  The idea here is that if a user would like to see something
like a really nice X setup, they can import someone's tricked-out
.fvwmrc-from-hell and then modify it rather than having to invent it
all from scratch.

PLEASE don't just send me these files individually in the mail - I
don't want to have to reassemble everything by hand.  Send me a shar
file or some suitable bundle of all the `dotfiles' you think are
relevant, along with a short description of what makes it special.  If
you're not a shar fan, then make a tarfile out of it and stick it in
incoming, sending me a pointer to it.

Note that this isn't a call for several thousand 4 line .cshrc files;
I'm looking for "complete setups" that people have spent a fair bit of
time on and are proud of (and feel would be of genuine use to someone
else).  Due credit will, of course, be given..  Your chance to see
your name in lights and live on in people's .login files all over the
planet! :-)

Thanks!

						Jordan