Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:24:53 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel adjustment for clock drift

Sheldon Hearn writes:

> On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:09:50 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
>
> > I have a machine that drifts about 7 seconds a day and I'd like to
> > tweak something in the kernel to keep it closer to the truth.  The
> > clock gets corrected once a day by ntpdate, but I'd like to avoid such
> > big adjustments.
>
> This is not a direct answer to the question you asked. :-)
>
> Is it impossible for you to
>
> 	a) run ntpdate at more regular intervals
>
> 	or
>
> 	b) use ntpd, also in the base system?
>
> Presumably you're talking about a frequently unconnected host using
> automatic ppp?  If so, you could run ntpdate out of ppp.linkup.
> Alternatively, you could run ntpd and set up ppp's dial and active
> filters so that ntpd's synchronization attempts do not cause a dial
> attempt nor keep an existing connection alive.

See my other posting to this list. I ran xntpd for years on a dialup
connection. Connected an hour or two or three per day. Xntpd doesn't
seem to have any problems resuming when the connection resumes.

Xntpd *does* spit a message into syslogd whenever it first loses its
connections.

Observed xntpd disappeared with FreeBSD 4.0 and now we have ntpd. Seems
to work exactly the same. I didn't change anything.

One "gotcha" is that xntpd didn't like to be started unless it had
a nework connection. So don't put it in an rc startup file. I start
ntpd now by hand first time I think of it when connected after a reboot.

The other "gotcha" is that you don't want [x]ntpd keeping your dialup
ppp link active. I manually invoke pppd and kill it. There are
filtering rules for pppd and ppp so auto-dial will not be triggered by
ntp.

[X]ntpd will calculate your system clock drift and apply pre-emptive
adjustments to keep it tuned. Looks like ntpd has been adjusting my
clock back 1 second about once per day when its connected. Its only had
4 days since I changed over from xntpd and the driftfile value may have
changed units.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net