Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:20:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        bmilekic@unixdaemons.com
Cc:        bright@mu.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M_ flags summary.

In message: <20030121224148.A75236@unixdaemons.com>
            Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com> writes:
:   I think that defining M_TRYWAIT and M_WAITOK to 0 for KLD_MODULES is
:   fine but I do not think that defining them to anything other than 0 is
:   fine just so that we could add that KASSERT() that Warren suggested in
:   the allocation code.  As you point out, defining it to anything other
:   than 0 would actually break ABI compatibility.  Defining it to 0 for
:   KLD_MODULES would preserve both API and ABI compatibility for those
:   who actually care.  Certainly, both M_TRYWAIT and M_WAITOK would have
:   to be defined in order to maintain full backwards-API compatibility.

Actually, I think that we shouldn't define them to be 0 for modules.
Instead, we should define them to the new values.  However, we should
accpet '0' with the old meaning for a while (maybe with a printf).
There are going to be enough ABI changes between 5.0 and 5.branch that
worrying about this one is likely not worth the effort to do special
things for the modules.  It isn't going to be too much longer before
it becomes impossible for 5.0-RELEASE compiled modules to not operate
with 5.0-CURRENT.

I think we need to go fartehr than Alfred[*] is wanting to go, but
until I post a patch I'm going to be quiet.

Warner

[*] I'd like to appologize for the Alfre's in the last subject
line.  My keyboard is sometimes producing 0 d's or 2 d's when I hit
the 'd' key and I didn't notice.  It wasn't intended to be an insult.