Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:49:12 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Disabling PCI devices or changing root dev from boot prompt

>I've been caught in the embarrassing situation of having a machine that has
>both an internal Adaptec 7880 controller (on the PCI bus) & a 2940 controller.
>
>FreeBSD was installed when the machine had only the internal controller & saw
>it as ahc1. Now that the secondary controller has been added, it sees it as
>ahc0, gets the disks off it 1st and fails when it attempts to mount root of
>the first disk on the ahc0 chain. All would be hunky dory if I could disable
>ahc0 from the boot prompt or automagically change which disk it looks at for
>its root partition.

Why not hardwire the SCSI devices?  In your kernel config file, you can
specify the controller that sd0, sd1, etc attach to.  Look at the scsi.4.
You'll have to temporarily disconnect the second bus of disks so you can
boot and recompile your kernel.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations