Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 13:03:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay <jay@oneway.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .nfs files, what causes them and why do they hang around?

> You are supposed to never crash.

     So they _shouldn't_ exist unless the server (or client) crashes?

> >    Also, I read in a couple mailing list archive messages that the nfsv3
> > in 2.2.x is not stable, is this true? should I be using nfsv2?
>
> Apply my LEASE patches, and apply David Greenman's (or was it PHK's)
> NFS vnode locking patches, both posted to -current and -hackers,
> and you should see a much more stable system.
> I don't know if the not-my-patches have been applied to -current,
> but I'd be surprised if they were in 2,2,7-stable.

    I've been combing through the mailing lists and have found related
material, but I'm not sure if what I am finding is correct.  I found a
patch called 'DIFF.LEASE', are these the LEASE patches you refer to?  And
if they are, I did not notice any version information, Can I apply these
to a 2.2.6 system?  or should I upgrade the system to 2.2.7 first?
Also, I can't find the vnode locking patches at all, save a reference to
something done in '95.
    Are these problems fixed in the 3.0 branch?

    Thanks for your assistance so far, and for any additional help you can
give.

Jay