Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:04:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Has anyone really tested NFS_NOSERVER?

Well, I finally got 2.2-current bootstrapped on my machine at work.
(There's still a problem with the documentation section blowing up
due to it not baing able to find /usr/share/dist/eign (whatever that
is) but I got around this by disabling the 'doc' target for now.)

Anyway. I built a GENERIC kernel and fired up the machine in diskless
mode (this way I can boot either 2.1 from the internal disk or 2.2
via NFS). After a little bit of fiddling with the netboot configuration
parameters, I got everything to work just fine. No worries: I even
used this system to build another kernel, identical to GENERIC except
with 'options NFS_NOSERVER' added.

The new kernel with NFS_NOSERVER gives me nothing but grief, however.
It will always eventually wedge, though not in the same place. Sometimes
it will wedge before it finishes running the rc scripts. Sometimes
it will finish booting sucessfully, but wedge just after I get logged
in. Debugging is tricky: since the whole system is mounted via NFS,
nothing will work once it gets stuck. Scanning with tcpdump from another
machine on the same subnet shows that all NFS traffic between the FreeBSD
machine and the server (which is a Sun SPARC IPX with SunOS 4.1.3) just
stops. There aren't any retransmissions or anything. I can still ping
the FreeBSD machine though. I haven't had a chance to make a kernel with
DDB yet.

Hardware is as follows:

AMD 386DX/40 CPU (no math coprocessor)
8 MB RAM
3Com 3c503 (8-bit) ethernet adapter
Diamond Speedstar 3.01 SVGA adapter (ET4000)
1 no-name IDE controller (primary)
1 Western Digital 40MB disk <WDC AC140> (master)
1 Quantum IDE 50 MB disk <QUANTUM LP52A  950509105> (slave)
2 serial ports (16450)
1 parallel port

I'm using the entire WD disk for swap space.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.