Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:42:55 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        lile@stdio.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Object library formats

Is Olicom part of Olivetti or something different ?

> ring cards.  They seem to think it would be compatible with a.out.
> Also
> would this library be compatible with an elf'd system?
>
> ELF/TRLLD.O:         ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version
> 1,
> not stripped

A COFF binary file can be converted into a.out without much problems,
I have even written that converter once but it was lost during a crash
and I
felt no urge to write it again. The problem is that this driver is
probably
relying on the SysV Device Driver Interface to call the kernel library
functions that are missing in FreeBSD. For a network driver this is for
sure because it should use the STREAMS framework which is not used
in FreeBSD.

-Serge

P.S. A not stripped object file may be very useful for reverse
engineering.