Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 03:08:19 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015837702.cf229b@mired.org>
To:        Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystems

Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org> types:
> On Monday 04 March 2002 11:57 pm, Patrick Fish wrote:
> > My disk layout looks like this:
> >
> > Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad0s1a    18G   2.7G    14G    16%    /
> > procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc
> > Would it be a good idea to break the major dirs into seperate partitions?
>
> I prefer it that way, but it's simpler in many ways to just have one--you
> never wind up shuffling bits of your system around when the ratio between
> partition sizes turns out to be wrong.
>
> The big drawback is that if your f/s ever gets trashed, *everything* is gone,
> including the partition that you might have wanted to stick around to
> facilitate recovery.

That's true, but 1) FreeBSD file systems are *much* more robust than
they were in 1990. 2) Disk drives - even el cheapo IDE drivers are
*much* more reliable than they were in 1990. 3) The total lossage from
having a system down is much less with a single-user workstation than
it was with the typical 1990 era VAX, which was what most FreeBSD
users were on. 4) You should create a recovery disk, or by the CD set
that includes one.

> Another drawback is that if a process goes insane and consume infinite /tmp
> space it gets to eat the entire HD before it stops.  For these reasons I
> partition /var, /tmp, and /home to their own space, as well as a /ext
> parition for "big junk" that I want to back up and /more for "big junk" that
> I don't.

My solution for /tmp is to allocate a bit of extra swap space, and use
an mfs partition for it. That solves the problem of things writing big
temp files and hosing your system, and insures you of a clean /tmp
after every boot as well.

> > If so, could i do this with fdisk WITHOUT reformatting? -
> No.  Which is why I'd just leave well enough alone & keep good backups until
> I had some other reason to re-install, unless your system is brand-new and
> you haven't customized much of anything.

There's a good way to deal with that. That's one of those white
paper's I've never finding time to write. Keep customizations in a
source control system. That way, when you reinstall, you can put the
old customizations back with a single command. Then you can find the
things you weren't didn't track properly and fix them :-).

	<mike