Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:34:05 -0500
From:      "brian@levie.freeserve.co.uk" <brian@levie.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        bsam@ipt.ru
Cc:        freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Failure to compile

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Boris Samorodov bsam@ipt=2Eru
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:50:37 +0300
To: brian@levie=2Efreeserve=2Eco=2Euk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD=2Eorg

[CC to freebsd-questions@ restored]

Hello Brian!

Please, try to not top-post=2E It's hard to track the thread=2E Thanks=2E

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:31:04 -0000 Brian Levie wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,

Sorry for the delay (I've been a little bit busy)=2E BTW if you cc'ed to
freebsd-questions@ you may be able to get an answer from somebody else
much faster=2E ;-)

> FreeBSD is installed in a 1=2E5Gb partition the rest is windows XP,
downloaded
> an iso file from the web=2E

OK=2E Then you should got a system compiler which was overwritten by
Xenix one=2E

> By Unix files I mean data files which I wrote firstly on a machine runni=
ng
> Xenix then this was updated to a server running Unix=2E  These files wer=
used
> to compile many programs that I wrote in those days=2E  Xenix installati=
on
> disks are now unobtainable, so I thought I would try FreeBSD>

I think that you may try to compile your programms by the system
compiler (or one from the ports system) and adopt the sources when
needed=2E

> Uname -a:  FreeBSD 6=2E1-Release 6=2E1 Release #0: Sun May 7 04:32:13 UT=
> 2006root@apres cse  buffalo=2Eedu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

> File:  /usr/bin/cc  Microsoft a=2Eoutseperate pin semented word swapped =
not
> stripped V2=2E3 V3=2E0 386 small model executable not stripped

Yep, that's why you got "Exec format error"=2E FreeBSD is capable of
running binaries from some other OSes but Xenix is not among them=2E

> Ls -l: -rwx--x--x 1 root wheel 37376 Nov 3 1993 /usr/bin/cc

=2E=2E=2Ewhich then you overwrote by another one=2E

> I hope this is of some help=2E

Well, to receive a working OS you may either reinstall it or do a
binary update (imho rebuilding is not an option since you overwrote
some system binaries)=2E

Binary
> > file not executable'=2E I tried changing permissions and owner with no=

> change=2E

> Please, show us the output of commands "uname -a", "file /usr/bin/cc"
> and "ls -l /usr/bin/cc"=2E

> > Any suggestions or won't the unix C compiler not work with FreeBSD=3F

> Well, FreeBSD is used to be compiled by this compiler=2E Those troubles
> of yours shouldn't happen=2E ;-)

WBR
--=20
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
Research Engineer, http://www=2Eipt=2Eru Telephone & Internet SP
FreeBSD committer, http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg The Power To Serve

I did not realise FreeBSD had a C compiler, I decided to reformat the
partition and reinstall FreeBSD=2E  It appeared to go well but after exiti=
ng
the install I cannot boot it, I get the error message ' Unable to load a
Kernel', what has happened=3F

Brian

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E