Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:24:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tony Clark <tonyc@compnews.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq Contura 486 laptop

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Tony Clark wrote:

> I would like to install FreeBSD on my laptop cause i need a much much more
> stable operating system that Windows 95/OS etc etc....

OK.  Our experience with FreeBSD on laptops is that it sucks battery like
anything.  You can't spin down the hard disk to save power, otherwise
the system goes nuts. :(  We have a 500mb disk split with a DOS partition
and use that for extended usage.

> QUESTION:	Will my laptop support freebsd 2.0.1 ?

I think you meant 2.1.  :)

> If not what external devices might i have to purchase ?
>
> IBM PCMCIA ethernet controller ?
> Different PCMCIA modem ?

We use a 3COM 3c589 Ethernet card and a Megahertz 14.4 modem on ours (a
Dell Latitude LX).

> MACHINE:	Compaq Contura 410C 486 colour laptop

Ack. :(  I hate Compaqs.  They cut corners everywhere (ref: Non-PCI
compliant, screwed up SCSI, etc.)

> Floopy Disk Controlers:-
> 	Compaq Floppy Disk Controller
>
> Hard Disk Controllers:-
> 	Compaq disk controller

As long as these are compatible they should work OK.

> Modem:-
> 	PCMCIA Worldport Miracom 14400 (generic AT command set modem)

Possibly supported.  I'm not aware of what the current pccard support is.

> 	Plug and Play BIOS

Oh, joy.  :(

Please don't use escape sequences in messages.  It looks like garbage on
my xterm.