Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 00:11:27 +0700
From:      Leonard Ong <Leonard_Ong@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel Issue - Please Help me

Dear Experienced Users,

I am having a problem with compiling kernel. I have read the available
Documents and pratice almost 10 hours by compiling over and over again.  I
hope you would spare a few minutes to answer my questions.

1) Is order in Kernel Configuration Important ? Say I can't put this line
before that line ?
    I tried the Generic, and it compile sucessfully. If i add several line
for SB16 in the middle it would hang (see indication #1),
    but if i put it in the most bottom part, then it's okay

2) Why is LINT not suitable for kernel configuration ? i know it is too
complete, but I tried to commeted out all uneeded parts,
    In order to preserve the right order, it also yield indication #1

3) how to figure out the right order ?

Indication 1 :
After boot : it should be displayed this way :
<cut>
Copyright (c) 1992-1998 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
<and so on>

but it displayed nothing but Data Address, Code Address the first 2 lines
you see after boot: and hangs

4) is there a way to find out what's wrong with the kernel ? It would help
if i know where it hangs.

5) Would it be faster if I change default : controller	wdc0	at isa? port
"IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
    using 32 bit probe ? the one in LINT ?

Thank you