Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 12:30:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Fixit Floppy Broken?

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Now, if someone is concerned about naive users spamming themselves then
> > perhaps we need to think about an automated recovery disk but that's not
> > what fixit is all about.
>
> What, like:
>
> 	1)	I forgot my root password, set it it 'dork'
> 	2)	It wants me to fsck my '/' parition
> 	3)	I tried (unsuccessfully) to start X from /etc/ttys
> 	4)	...

All of this can be handled fine by booting with `-s'.

Of course, 1) couldn't be helped iff the user declared his console
location to be `insecure'.  But this ain't the default, and people who
care more for security than recoverability have to care for a
reasonable recovery strategy anyway.

--
cheers, J"org