Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! XFree86 has been upgraded to 4.2.0 in 4.5-STABLE

> Since this is a nontrivial change and the 4.6 release cycle is
> just around the corner (code freeze: May 1), please test this
> as much as possible and report any problems or unexpected
> behaviour to ports@FreeBSD.org and portmgr@FreeBSD.org.

 Several people have already reported this particular issue
 with XF86 4.2 (on FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE).

 And - thus far, there is no resolution.

 When I install Netscape (ftp'd from ftp.netscape.org) and
 try and run it, I get:

	netscape: locale `C' not supported.

        If the $XNLSPATH directory does not contain the proper config files,
        Netscape will crash the first time you try to paste into a text
        field.  (This is a bug in the X11R5 libraries against which this
        program was linked.)

        Since neither X11R4 nor X11R6 come with these config files, we have
        included them with the Netscape distribution.  The normal place
        for these files is /usr/X11/lib/X11/nls/.

    	If you can't create that
        directory, you should set the $XNLSPATH environment variable to
        point at the place where you installed the files.

 I've tried creating the proper XNLSPATH and nls directories
 to no avail.

 I don't have this problem with XFree86 3.3.6.

 Is it possible this is already addressed in (the upcoming) 4.6?

	 - Thanks! -
	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847