Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2000 17:46:03 -0800
From:      Joe Bo <ibjoe@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help me with my DNS please?

Hi,

I'm not really very knowledgeable on this, but I have it working, mostly.
I'm just not sure I'm doing it right.

The setup is FreeBSD v3.2 running natd and named with 2 network cards,
one serving several PCs on a private network, the other on a cable
modem on the public network.

The private network is a 192.168.1.255 type thing.
The PCs only know the private network card address (192.168.1.1) for DNS.

I want the FreeBSD machine to only use my upstream DNS providers
(provided by my cable network). Unless there is a reason for using
other DNS providers.

Do I want to set up named.conf to be a "primary" or "secondary" server?
I think I'm set up as a "primary" now, but am not sure.

How does named.conf relate with /etc/networks, localhost.rev and
resolv.conf? Are there other interacting configuration files I
may need to edit (besides inetd)?

Can anyone show me an example or point me to a web page (or other
technical reference) that will help me be sure my configuration is
right? I'd be happy to send or post any relevant files for comment.

Thanks,

Joe Bo