Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Greg Gregson <gregs_place@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Greg Gregson wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I'm completly new to freeBDS (I've a small Linux backgroud though), this
> week, I've install FreeBSD 4 but I'm a bit confused on how to make it
> recognize and install my 2 NE2000 compatible ISA network adapters, I' didn't
> find any clear documentation on configuring network adapters on FreeBSD.
> (when I "ifconfig -a", I don't see any ed0 or ed1). Whould you be kind
> enough to point me some documentation or tutorial about doing this task?

Does your 'dmesg' output tell you that there was a ed0 found during boot?

You may need to load a module or build your kernel. Ed0 is compiled into
the GENERIC kernel so you should be good to go.

You will need to edit /etc/rc.conf to make your interface show up on boot.
Grab the pertinent lines out of /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

You could always ifconfig your interface manually too, but what fun is
that? :)

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells