Date:      Fri, 20 May 2011 01:31:46 +0200
From:      Per von Zweigbergk <pvz@itassistans.se>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAST + ZFS self healing? Hot spares?

20 maj 2011 kl. 01.09 skrev Pawel Jakub Dawidek:

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 01:03:43AM +0200, Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
>> Very well, that is how failures are handled. But how do we *recover*
>> from a disk failure? Without taking the entire server down that is.
>
> HAST opens local disk only when changing role to primary or changing
> role to secondary and accepting connection from primary.
> If your disk fails, switch to init for that HAST device, replace you
> disk, call 'hastctl create <resource>' and switch back to primary or
> secondary.

If I were to do 'hastctl role init foo' to switch from primary->init,
/dev/hast/foo would go away, and this would degrade whatever file system
or volume manager you're running on top of HAST. (I just tried this
in my HAST lab environment.)

The scenario I was describing was a primary disk failure, I want to
keep being able to access /dev/hast/foo while I replace the primary
disk.

I still don't see how it's possible to hot-replace a failed drive in
the server that's primary at the time, there just doesn't seem to be
any way of bringing in a new disk on the primary side without bringing
down the HAST resource.