Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 03:19:26 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015838366.5272c7@mired.org>
To:        Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates on root in 4.5-RELEASE

Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org> types:
> On Tuesday 05 March 2002 10:24 am, Burhan Nazir wrote:
> > Softupdates will not write any data immediatly to the disk.  I believe
> > it is about 30 seconds b4 any data actually gets wriiten.  This enhances
> > disk write speed for certain types of operations.  However, there is a
> > small risk of data loss/coruption if the machine looses power b4 any data
> > was written.  For that reason, ppl believe that it is not a good idea to
> > have softupdates on the system critical root partition
> I think it's more a matter of avoiding it on partitions that are likely to be
> rather full and fairly small, since the delay in processing deletes means
> that you effectively lose a certain amount of disk space due to processing
> time.

In particular, "make installkernel" on a system with a default root
file system can easily fail because the kernel and modules still
haven't been deleted when the you try to do the install.

> I personally make the root partition larger and enable soft-updates but
> disable write-caching.  This seems much safer than the system default way of
> doing things to me, but with nearly equal performance.

I personally make the root partitoin larger, enable soft updates, and
use SCSI disks with proper tagged queuing support so the write cache
isn't a problem.

	<mike