Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:52:56 -0400
From:      Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
To:        'Matthew Dillon' <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>
Cc:        "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: STI, HLT in acpi_cpu_idle_c1

From: Matthew Dillon [mailto:dillon@apollo.backplane.com]
>     It is unlikely that the emulator is at fault, though I
> suppose it is
>     a possibility.   It is more likely that there are simply no normal
>     interrupts being made pending and so your HLT is never waking up.
>
>     If inserting a NOP makes things magically work, then the
> emulator is
>     broken and needs to be fixed.  You can't have a NOP in
> there for real
>     because you blow up the interlock.

I only have the emulator on there because of the bug,
not the other way around :)
The boards without the emulator are the ones that hang,
that's why i dragged it out.
I am definitely generating other interrupts
(e.g. serial, trying to drop into db, hardclock), but
all for naught. If I generate an NMI, it hangs
sending the stop ipi to the other processors, so
they don't receive that either. The core that i then
generate shows them in 'hlt'.

I'm wondering about some of the specification updates
for the Xeon, e.g. P72 of
http://developer.intel.com/design/Xeon/specupdt/24967839.pdf
seems kind of esoteric, but...

--don