Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 20:28:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "find" and "quota" find different amounts of files

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Mark Stosberg wrote:

:
:Hello! I'm running FreeBSD 4.3 and have encountered a mystery of some
:missing files. Using "find" and "quota" to find the same files, I get
:different results. For example:
:
:############
:root@nollie vector1> find  /usr  -user evan  -print | wc -l
:    2435
:
:root@nollie vector1> quota evan
:Disk quotas for user evan (uid 1075):
:     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
: grace
:           /usr  561790 1010000 1010000            2537       0       0
:############
:
:So "find" is reporting 2435 files, but "quota" is reporting 2537. Where
:could the difference be hiding?
:
:I reviewed the man pages for both "find" and "quota" and couldn't find
:any clues to this. If it's not actually a bug with one of these
:utilities, then I consider it a bug with their documentation since it's
:given unexpected results.
:

These should match.  Two things pop into my head as first possibilities.
First, you have a race.  find(1) and quota(1) are looking at the disk at
different times.  It's possible that the files got created in the time
between find looking at a directory and when quota is run.  Whether that's
likely will depend on what the machine and the user are doing.

If it's consistently like this, then maybe your quota file is corrupt.
Are you running quotacheck(8) at startup?  I believe the rc.conf flag
for that is "check_quotas".  If you can afford to take the machine down,
run quotacheck and see it fixes the problem.

David

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.