Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:29:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Config problems

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Peter Wemm wrote:

> > What does ``hint.scbus.1.bus="0"'' mean?  Do I have to stick a number
> > after the "device ahc" and "device scbus" lines (the NOTES file
> > doesn't).  Are there any other oddities I ought to know of?
>
> It works the same as the other devices:
>
> 'device scbus1 at ahc1 bus 0'
>
> becomes:
>
> hint.scbus.1.at="ahc1"
> hint.scbus.1.bus="0"
>
> When you have a trailing '?' character in an 'at' binding, you leave it out.
> eg: hint.scbus.1.at="ahc"  (which would have meant "device scbus1 at ahc?")
>
> You do not stick numbers after the 'device ahc' and 'device scbus' lines.
> The device wiring comes from the hints (either /boot/device.hints or
> the statically compiled in hints)
>
> Perhaps you should post your old *ORIGINAL* config file and I'll do a worked
> example conversion...

Sure, OK.  Here's the last one I've been using, before I did any
editing.  I have five scsi devices.  The disks are wired down, the cd's
are not wired down here, but they show up on ahc1 targets 5 & 6 (show them
floating, for more variety in the example).

machine		i386

cpu		I586_CPU
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		CH
maxusers	64

# Create a SMP capable kernel (mandatory options):
options		SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options		APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional, these are the defaults:
options		NCPU=2			# number of CPUs
options		NBUS=4			# number of busses
options		NAPIC=1			# number of IO APICs
options		NINTR=24		# number of INTs
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
options		SYSVMSG
options		MSGBUF_SIZE=40960
options		NETATALK		#Appletalk communications protocols
options 	NETGRAPH		#netgraph(4) system
options		P1003_1B
options		_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options		_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L

# Lets always enable the kernel debugger for SMP.
options		DDB

options		GPL_MATH_EMULATE	#Support for x87 emulation via

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
options		FFS_ROOT
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		CD9660			#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		SCSI_DELAY=8000		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
options		SOFTUPDATES
options		VESA			# needs VM86 defined too!!
options 	COMPAT_LINUX

# If you see the "calcru: negative time of %ld usec for pid %d (%s)\n"
# message you probably have some broken sw/hw which disables interrupts
# for too long.  You can make the system more resistant to this by
# choosing a high value for NTIMECOUNTER.  The default is 5, there
# is no upper limit but more than a couple of hundred are not productive.
# A better strategy may be to sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1

options 	NTIMECOUNTER=20

options		ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:da0s1a\"

device	isa0
device	eisa0
#controller	pnp0
device	pci0

device	fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc, amd) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
device	ahc0
device	ahc1

device	scbus0 at ahc0
device	scbus1 at ahc1

device		pcm0

device		bktr0
device	iicbus0
device	iicbb0
device	smbus0

# The Numeric Processing eXtension driver.  This should be configured if
# your machine has a math co-processor, unless the coprocessor is very
# buggy. If it is not configured then you *must* configure math emulation
# (see above).  If both npx0 and emulation are configured, then only npx0
# is used (provided it works).
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX iosiz 0x0 flags 0x0 irq 13

device		da0 at scbus 0 target 0
device		da1 at scbus 0 target 2
device		da2 at scbus 1 target 1

device		cd0 at scbus?
device		cd1 at scbus?

# The keyboard controller; it controlls the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse.
device	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD

# The AT keyboard
device      atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1

# new syscons stuff

device		vga0	at isa? port ?
device		sc0	at isa?

device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

device	ppc0    at isa? port? irq 7 drq 3
device	ppbus0
device		lpt0	at ppbus?
device		plip0	at ppbus?
device		ppi0	at ppbus?
device		pps0	at ppbus?

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.

#device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq  5 iomem 0xd8000
device		fxp0

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	vn
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	snp	4	#Snoop device - to look at pty/vty/etc..
pseudo-device	tun	1
pseudo-device	pty	128
pseudo-device	streams
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	bpf	4
device		pass0	#CAM passthrough driver
device		pass1	#CAM passthrough driver
device		pass2	#CAM passthrough driver
device		pass3	#CAM passthrough driver

# KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
# This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
# the costs of each syscall.
options		KTRACE		#kernel tracing

# PS/2 mouse
device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.