Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:36:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrew Prewett <andrew@kronos.HomeUnix.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Apache with ssl.

Today Mark-Nathaniel Weisman wrote:

> I've replaced the original httpd executable with a new improved
> apachectl,

apachectl is only a wrapper script to start, stop, restart apache (httpd)...

> and of course need the startssl to fire up my ssl installed
> Web Server. When the web server fires up, you need to enter the pass
> phrase for the security. How can I automate this?

You mean, you want a decrypted key?

<prompt># openssl rsa -in encrypted.key -out decrypted.key
[you get a password prompt here]

<prompt># chown root:wheel decrypted.key
<prompt># chmod 0400 decrypted.key

(apache|ssl).conf file:
SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/decrypted.key

You should read the apache-ssl FAQ.

> Which file boots the web server?

 In this case the web server executable is httpd. You can start it
directly and with a wrapper script, like apachectl or (if you have
installed apache with the ports/packages system) with
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/httpd.sh (IIRC).

> And where do I add the security phrase? Any help?

 If you use the decrypted version of the key, then you'll not be prompted
again at apache startup.

	-andrew