Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:57:19 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Cc:        Matt Fioravante <fmatthew5876@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jails and multicore boxes

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:20:06 +0100
Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk> wrote:

> You'll have to answer that yourself. How valuable is your data? What are
> you trying to protect? If you're worrying about getting cracked and used
> as a spam bot, jails are no more secure than a non-jail system.

Maybe some qualification is needed here.

If your mail jail gets broken into, then it will still be used as a spambot.

But your host (the machine in which your jails run in) wouldn't have been compromised, necessarily, by the fact that the jail got compromised. Having root on a jail  (if that's what we are talking about by 'compromised' ) shouldn't affect your host machine. Unless there is some other vulnerability that can be used, of course.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"The more I see the less I know for sure."
  John Lennon