Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:14:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Latitude CPx, pccard, X & apm

In message <200006222159.VAA09784@hand.dotat.at> Tony Finch writes:
: (1) the pccard system seems rather inept at allocating interrupts; it
:     likes to choose irq3 first (which was sio1 until I disabled that
:     in the BIOS so that I could use my ethernet card) and then it
:     chooses irq5 which is
:         pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1998) at 8.0 irq 5
:     i.e. both these choices lead to IRQ conflicts! The free IRQs are
:     8, 13, and 15.

Yes.  Agreed.

: (2) the various bits of BIOS magic (dropping into setup and the APM
:     functionality) only work in text mode, not in X. The whole machine
:     seems to lock *hard* when attempting to enter the BIOS from X, to
:     the extent that I have to unplug the AC power and the batteries in
:     order to recover control.

Yes.  You have to have special support in the X server to do this.  At
least that's my understanding.  I could be wrong.

Warner