Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 03:58:51 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015840731.ee9f74@mired.org>
To:        Justin L Boss <jlboss@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port Colection

Justin L Boss <jlboss@yahoo.com> types:
> Why do most people use the port collection instead of the package
> collection? I only use the PC if I cant find a pkg. The pkg takes
> considerable less time and space, So why use the port unless you have to.

Since nobody else mentioned it, I'm going to add one of mine. The
others are part of it as well, but this one is the one that pushed me
over the edge.

As the sysadmin, /usr/local is *mine*. It's been that way since at
least v6. The OS distribution has no business installing software
packages there. So I set LOCALBASE to something else, and compile the
port. And when they don't compile because of that, I - usually - fix
them and send patches to the maintainer. By not mixing things that I
can download from FreeBSD with things that I've written myself, or
downloaded and installed other than as a port, I keep my file
hierarchy cleaner. Since the ports mechanism is supposed to provide a
way to do this, it's much easier to relocate ports than to relocate
the place I put such locally maintained packages.

I note that at least one of the other BSD's took that route, as well
as the openpackage project.

	<mike