Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:02:39 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Andrew Kaszubski" <apk@etc.i-e.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: re Merit radius logs

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Kaszubski <apk@etc.i-e.net>

>Would anybody know if its possible to make merit radius
>write out detail files that are of the same format that
>livingston radius details files are in ?
>I have a need because the accounting package a client wants
>to use needs this format and I couldn't get lingston radius
>to compile on FreeBSD ( merit radius works just fine anyhow ).

I have compiled Livingstons RADIUS v2.0.1 on FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE, had to make
a few changes to the source.

1. create a config file ( conf/FreeBSD_2.2 )
2. modify conf.h so that it used "stdlib.h", instead of using "malloc.h" and
"sys_errlist".
3. modify radius.h so that RADIUS_DIR is "/usr/local/etc/raddb" &
RADACCT_DIR is "/var/log/radius"

The patch can be found at:

http://www.westbend.net/~hetzels/radius/radius-2.01-2.01.C.F.diff

The patch, contains Cristian Grafton's "RADIUSD 2.0 Enhancements"
 http://sysadm.dntis.ro/devel/radius/index.html )  and the changes needed to
get RADIUS to compile under FreeBSD.

NOTE: Cristian Grafton converted the sources to requiring gdbm, and gmake
 instead of make) in order to compile.

1. Install gdbm from the ports.
2. untar Livingstons RADIUS v2.01
3. mv the radius directory to radius-2.01
4. Apply the patch
5. Change directory to radius-2.01/src
6.  Compile RADIUS (use "gmake EXT=FreeBSD_2.2" to compile).

The major changes radius makes are as follows:

RADIUS detail logs are stored by default in "/var/log/radius" and rotated on
a monthly bases ( detail-{MONTH} )
RADIUS config files are stored by default in "/usr/local/etc/raddb"

There are other changes also, see
http://sysadm.dntis.ro/devel/radius/index.html for the details.

NOTE: Password Expiring (function "shadow_expire" in extens.c), via the
system password file is not working as it is linux specific.  Any
suggestions to get it working under FreeBSD would be appreciated.

Scot