Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:27:40 -0600
From:      "Frank Li" <frank19991@hotmail.com>
To:        d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase memory limit ?

Hi, Duncan,

Thanks for your help!

>From: Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
>Yes, 2G - 1 is the maximum size a signed int can hold ... mind you, any
>program needing more that 2G of memory really should be implementing
>on-disk storage of data for itself.

Thanks for your suggestion.  In this case I should probably do so.  But I
have some other cases that may use other's simulation package which is hard
to change due to existing software architecture.

> > >You can also tune this at boot time by adding them to the file
> > >/boot/loader.conf. e.g.
>It may be the case that you cannot specify the value like that in
>loader.conf, in which case we must do the math ourselves.

I put in 1073741824 which is 1G, booted the GENERIC kernel.  Not worked.
Strange.

>Read this, it may help:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/adding-swap-space.html

Cool!  I created an additional swapfile according to its instruction.
Everything is smooth.  Just one thing not quite understood.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap0 bs=1024k count=64

It actually created a 64GB swapfile. As we knew virtual memory space on
32bit bsd cannot exceed 2GB, is 64GB for multiple processes/programs, or
multiple users?  Therefore I just delibrately change it to a smaller value
that my harddisk can hold (32GB).  Not sure if this is a documentation
problem in the handbook.  Interesting.

Frank