Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 10:37:16 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patch Problem

From: Андрей Чернов <ache@nagual.pp.ru>

>On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
>
>> I tried it both ways and still had the same problem.
>>
>> diff -ruN myport.orig myport > myport.diff
>>
>> diff -ruN myport myport.orig > myport.diff
>>
>> Both patches tried to patch the Makefile in root of the port.cat
directory,
>> instead of the Makefile in the myport subdirectory.
>
>Wrong. In your case the command should be
>
>diff -ruN myport myport.new > myport.diff
>
>where myport contains old variant and myport.new updated one.
>Then patch < myport.diff will patch myport as you suppose.

Tried it, but the patch still doesn't work.  What is happening is patch is
seeing the Makefile in the root of the port.cat dir instead of the looking
at Makefile's in the myport & myport/files subdirectories.

patch finds the other files and patches them with no problems.

Now if I move myport subdir to another subdir with out a Makefile in the
root, it will patch the port.

Scot