Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:03:00 -0700
From:      Michael Bryan <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> And yes I also just had a mad scramble because I could have sworn that
> finger was off by default, luckily it seems that I'd either killed
> inetd or commented it out on all my hosts already.

A command that I -always- execute on any freshly installed system, and from
time to time when checking up on things:

	netstat -an

If any port has a listener on it, as an admin you'd better know what that
listener is and why it's needed, and make any setup changes as warranted.
It really helps a lot when setting up a box to make sure I've really disabled
all the services I intended to.  (Usually everything off except ssh and maybe
SMTP and/or DNS, depending on the purpose of the box.)