Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 08:06:33 +1000
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        nate@sneezy.sri.com, J_Shevland@turnaround.com.au, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:38:38 -0700 (PDT)  Archie Cobbs wrote:

> I was also thinking that we might want to start building a basic
> Java codebase for people who want to write applications in Java
> on FreeBSD, eg.
>
>   org.freebsd.util		- utility classes
>   org.freebsd.net		- network related classes
>   org.freebsd.admin		- classes for system administration
>   org.freebsd.admin.user	- classes for configuring user accounts

Some of that could/would be more general than just FreeBSD.  I started
putting together a POSIX class once to give access to the POSIX APIs.
With JNI this would be mostly portable, although I think not entirely
portable.  (Hard to say without finishing the project. :)

Maybe I'll dust the code off again, now that there are multiple JVMs
to make portability more than theoretically interesting.

Giles