Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 16:15:41 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: output in crontab

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> Best to fully path your filename. eg:
>
>         */3 * * * * date > /tmp/stamp

Even better is watching the right 'stamp' file <g>. So this works.
However, the one I need does not. The difference is that that one
is a shell script:

# This runs every 15 mins of every day
0,15,30,45 * * * * /root/Pinger/std_ping 1>> /root/Pinger/log/std_pings 2>
/dev/null

forseti:~/Pinger# cat std_ping
#! /usr/local/bin/bash
{
 date ;
 ping -s 1472 -c 40 ping.target | tail -n 2 ;
} | ~/Pinger/ping_reform

Aarrgghh!!

The crontab has a different path. It couldn't find the ping command.
So simple in hindsight. Next time I must remember to comment out
the error redirects. And, of course, to put them back in once done.

Which leads me to a different question. What would be the preferred
way to make it so that the above script can be run by an ordinary
user including the large ping size. Linux only limits flooding, so
there it wasn't a problem.

Anyone any thoughts?

Roelof

--