Date:      Mon, 1 May 1995 15:39:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        vernick@CS.SunySB.EDU (Michael Vernick)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 100 Mbs Ethernet drivers

> I want to set up a cluster of PC's using 100 Mbs Ethernet.  It seems
> that there is only 1 driver written so far for FreeBSD, for the
> DEC DE500-XA card.  However, DEC tells me that the card is not
> yet available; the driver was written by someone at DEC.  Is
> anyone else working on a driver for an available 100Mbs Ethernet card?

I am now stocking and have completed my testing of the SMC 9332 card
which is a DEC 21140 based 10/100MBS card.  I sell them for $212.00
each.  It is functionaly equivelent to the DEC DE500-XA card at a
lower cost.  Note these are 100-BASE-TX cards, so make sure your hubs/
switches are 100BASETX compliant (Grand Junction is the only one I
know of currently shipping these types of hubs, though SMC will have
something out in a few months.)

> I am not too familiar with writing drivers so I have a naive
> question. There are several drivers for these cards for Linux. Does
> anyone have a feel for how hard it is to port an Ethernet driver from
> Linux to FreeBSD?

Never having looked at the Linux ethernet driver interface I could not
say :-(.