Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:58:26 -0400
From:      "Kartic Krishnamurthy" <kaygee@netset.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dell Latitude XPi CD and Sound

Hello List,

I have a question on enabling sound on a Dell XPi CD P150St Laptop.  It has dual OS - Win 95 and FBSD 3.2-R PAO 3.2.  From Win 95, I
found that it has an Ensoniq ES1888 and also the resources associated with the hardware:
I/O Range: 0x230-0x23F, 0x388-0x38B, 0x330-0x331
IRQ:    5
DMA: 0, 3

First I tried the pcm0 route, but kernel kept complaining that pcm0 was not found.  Next, I found a "How-to" on Freebsdzine.org
(http://www.freebsdzine.org/attic/199904/sound.txt) and followed the instructions but putting in the values I found from
win95....kernel compiled successfully and machine rebooted and I also was able to play a music CD.  But boot gave some errors that
did not do any visible damage, the message is shown below:
================================
$ dmesg
sb0 at 0x230 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
Hmm... Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)

NOTE! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>
awe0 not found at 0x620
$
================================

Okay, here are my questions:
1)  What is that 'NOTE!' line that the kernel has shown....
2)  What is sbmidi0?  If sb0 is at 0x230 and opl0 (next question) is at 0x388, then what is at 0x330 (as per the resources shown by
Win 95)?
3)  What is opl0?
4)  What is awe0?  This address (0x620) was not shown by Win95, but the how-to I mentioned had this, so I put it in my kernel config
file.
5)  Why can't I use pcm0?

Part 2 of my problems:
1)  the mixer gives this error -> 'mixer: SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK: Device not configured'
2)  if I try something like cat test.au > /dev/audio, I get the following error -> 'Aug 24 23:28:21 tanzanite /kernel: SoundBlaster:
DSP Command(0xd3) timeout. IRQ conflict ?'

Could someone please help me and tell me what is going on?  Are these errors that I must be worried about (as in burning my laptop
or something)?

Thanks in advance,
--Kartic
PS: I also read another how-to http://www.freebsddiary.org/sound.html but my problems remain!