Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:53:45 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump and ssh

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 04:54:25PM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> > > restoring from.  If you just want to grap the already dumped file >
> > > and not restore:

> > >                                          ^^^^^^^
> > > Why the gratuitous cat(1)?
> >
> > 	Easier to follow...or maybe not.  It is not needed but I was going
> > 	off of your post which used |restore...
>
> Okay, wait, so if...
>
> # ssh -luser remotehost "cat dump_file.dmp" | restore -[irRtx]f -

This command will restore files stored in 'dump_file.dmp,' which is
located on remotehost, onto the machine the command is executed on.

I had a hard time parsing your description, but I think this is what
you would want. remotehost would be the machine with the diskspace for
the backups and the command is run on the machine needing to recover
the files. But...

> (the original reply) would restore the dump on the (let's call it the
> backup server, a big thing with a raid 5 array and a DLT drive), what
> would be the syntax to restore on the local host (sadly, a cobalt raq3
> running linux, several of these things, which have small hard drives,
> are backed up daily to the backup server).
>
> (Assume for a moment that I don't have the space to keep a full restore
> file on the disk _AND_ do the restore.)
>
> I've tried doing an NFS mount, but that's out of the question (I hate
> cobalts, they can only mount linux partitions).

You are mixing operating systems. How 'dump' and 'restore' work is OS
dependent, and since the machine doing the dumps and restores is
actually the Cobalt, I am not sure if freebsd-questions is the best
place to ask.

> I just noticed something....
>
> Would:
>
> ssh -luser remotehost "cat dump_file.dmp | restore -[irRtx]f -"
>
> actually be the command to do the restore on the backup server, and then
> the original reply is right? (note the location of quotes)?

That command would read the file 'dump_file.dmp' on remotehost and
then restore the files _on remotehost._