Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:47:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg.me.uk>
To:        Martin Moeller <moeller_ml@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing (the i4b) device driver

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Martin Moeller wrote:

> I'm totally new to FreeBSD programming, so please forgive my troll-like
> question! I'd like to write a nifty little program showing if somebody is
> calling me via an ISDN line. In the far future, the program should show the
> caller's telephone number.

The easiest way to do this is to use isdnd's regular expression feature,
which allows a program to be run whenever the regular expression matches
an line in the isdnd logging output.  The program that gets run is
typically a shell script, but can be any kind of program that you care to
write.   See the 'regexpr' and 'regprog' keywords on the isdnd.rc(5)
manpage.

That assumes your program just wants to monitor things passively; if you
want it to do handle calls actively, you want full entry in isdnd.rc (see
the 'I4BTEL' example in /etc/isdnd/isdnd.rc.sample).

http://people.freebsd.org/~hm/i4b-home/documentation.html