Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:57:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Comments on: Summary of final changes to FreeBSD 2.2.7

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

*** snip ***
>My apologies to those who were momentarily inconvenienced by this, but
>c'mon, this is free software and a 24 hour turnaround time is pretty
>good in any part of this industry! :-)

It is truly unnecessary (yet appreciated) for you or FreeBSD to apologize.

FreeBSD has been and continues to be the best OS. Those who have followed
for a while might snort their milk and cookies out of their nose when a
glitch shows up. But they still know FreeBSD is good stuff. Those who have
a knee-jerk response to a problem probably haven't been around long enough
to see that problems do not persist.

I must take issue with one thing. About "c'mon, this is free software"
comment. I invite people to go to Greg Lehey's site and read my
endorsement of FreeBSD.  http://www.lemis.com/ref1.html

I am light years more competent (and somehow still on the bottom of the
learning curve :)) with FreeBSD/UNIX now than when I wrote that
endorsement. In light of my increased experience, the view expressed
therein has only become stronger.

"What do I expect for free?" Not much.

"What do I expect from FreeBSD?" The highest quality software. The highest
integrity of the software and the developers. Development that is
reponsive to the needs of the community at large.

This is a lot to expect. I did not start using FreeBSD with these
expectations. FreeBSD taught me to expect these things from the software
and the community. FreeBSD made me question why expected so little from
commercial software.

To me "c'mon this is free software" implies that FreeBSD somehow starts
out as inferior to competing commercial products.

My point is this. Let no one (even jkh) hedge or temper their support of
FreeBSD by saying "It's only free software." FreeBSD is the best software,
_bar none_.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/