Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 17:08:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dexteryeung@ns1.HK.LinkAGE.NET (Dexter Yeung)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet setup

Dexter Yeung stands accused of saying:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 in my Pentimun server with 2x2G
> IBM SCSI HDD, 64M RAM and 3C509 NIC.  While it start to boot,
> BSD 2.0.g cannot recognise the 3C509 as address is 0x300 and
> irq is 10.

This is covered in the release notes.  You complain about documentation,
surely you read what was available?  You'll want to turn off plug-n-play
mode using the DOS configuration tool for the card, and make sure that
no other devices are enabled that will probe at 0x300.

> Where I can find detail reference material, e.g. books for me
> to reference.  I find that it is seriously short of books and
> other reference material ( Linux has many books in book stores )

Any book on BSD unix generally applies.  In particular, the 4.4BSD
manual set from O'Reilly contains large amounts of useful information.

Many Linux books contain very little 8)

> It is too hard for a beginner to play with this
> kind of OS, as well as UNIX techno.

That's not an opinion I have any evidence to substantiate.

> Dexter

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[