Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:34:46 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
Cc:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Had the shotgun out and pointed at my -current/SMP box...

Brian Tao scribbled this message on Jan 24:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Lee Crites (AEI) wrote:
> >
> > This is what I was told was needed for a windoze nt box running an
> > isp with 8 dial-up lines.  It was a copy of a machine I saw at an
> > operating isp which ran like your average windoze box (read: like a
> > dog).  Actually, that's a lie.  The isp box was, if I recall, a
> > p133.  I figured my p200 would make it acceptable...
>
>     Geez... I used to run P133 128MB shell servers on FreeBSD 2.1.0
> that could comfortably handle ~100 users.  With today's CPU's and the
> price of memory, it's too bad we can only get 256 pty's per machine.
> I'll bet a nice Pentium II system could handle 500 shell users.

actually, your only limited to 256 pty's if you use devfs...  (there
might be some modifications to handle minor numbers properly too),
but all you need to do is make the nodes by hand, teach the other
programs about 'em...

and yes, we do need to use a clone device instead of doing a linear
search of 'em...  but we need new open semantics that allow you to
pass back a different handle than what was opened...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD